If you are considering purchasing a new air conditioner, heat pump or furnace, paying attention to the energy efficiency ratings can really help you save money. Gentry Heating, Inc., a HVAC company in Skyland, North Carolina, can help you understand what energy efficiency ratings mean. We feel that understanding energy efficiency ratings is the best thing you can do to ensure that you save money and have the greatest level of indoor comfort available.

The Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating is used to determine the energy efficiency of gas furnaces. It is expressed as a whole percentage. For example, if a furnace you are considering installing has an AFUE of 80 percent; this indicates that it utilizes 80 percent of its available heat inside of your Skyland home. The remaining 20 percent is wasted because it is vented outside. Older furnaces may have AFUE ratings of only 60 percent, so it is worth your time and effort to research new models.

The Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) is a number that is assigned to air conditioning systems. You will save money on cooling costs by purchasing a unit with the highest possible SEER number. In the past decade, SEER numbers have increased from the low teens to the mid-20s. SEER numbers are calculated by measuring the output of an air conditioner in British Thermal Units (BTU) and dividing it by the total energy use of a home or business expressed in watt-hours.

The Heat Seasonal Performance Factor (HSFP) is used to determine the energy effectiveness of heat pumps. In order to save money, look for HSPF energy efficiency ratings of 8.2 or higher. The HSPF is calculated by determining the interaction between indoor coils and the outdoor unit. Gentry Heating, Inc. has several models of heating and cooling equipment available for your convenience.

Pin It on Pinterest